Depth or Breadth?

As I age, I notice that more and more I fall into two daily modes: intensely focused or ping-ponging among many different projects. I don't really have a middle ground option. Whether I was like this as a kid, I'll have to ask my mom.

I see this vibrantly when I consider my writing. On days I have a huge writing kick (and whip out 3,000-7,000 words), its usually due to a story nagging at my soul--one of my works in progress that won't let me go. It's annoying at times and exhilarating at others.  But then I won't be able to scribble on that story again until I work on a different one. Its like my creativity needs variety and lots of it.

Currently, I've got 4 different projects I'm juggling--pretty consistently.  Two of them I devote more time to and two of them are my "I need a break" projects. And I'm actually satisfied with the progress I'm making now that I'm not trying to force myself to stick to one and get it done in ten weeks time. I'm okay with finishing two or three books in a year or two if I'm happier this way. :-) Its all about finding the writing niche that fits you best.

If you're a writer, what seems to work best for you? 



Comments

Popular Posts